Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Field Trip to Marshall Teil Vier


He who knows how to suffer will enjoy much peace. - The Imitation of Christ

Deep into the long hours of the late evening and early morning, I found myself somewhat pathetically lying on the floor or next to the toilet. Name a condition of the flu, and boy did I have it. I was running a fever so I didn't realize how cold it had gotten. Because of the cracks in the building and because the winds were so severe, the building became a chilly 50 degrees making the thermostat alarm go off at 2am. I was able to get in touch with Clara and she told me how to adjust the heat. Despite the indoor temperature, it was still about 100 degrees warmer in there than outside!

When the later part of the morning came and my illness hadn't changed, I called Clara asking her if she had any medicine. She went to the store and came over right away bringing anything and everything she could think of that might make me feel better. Remembering again my grandmother, who was a nurse, I was comforted by Clara's intense maternal nature. She said to me, "family takes care of family. And I am your family out here". Apparently one can have many families over a lifetime. Later I talked to my other family, my Jesuit Volunteer family, and missed them terribly.

I didn't feel better until later in the evening, but when I felt well enough to walk down the stairs, I went into the church and sat alone with Jesus, the Healer and Comforter to all. I had one of the most personal experiences of my life with God there that night, too personal to write here I'm afraid. But I was so grateful to go to Him in my weakened state, weakened physically, emotionally, mentally, and even spiritually. For He promises, come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest (Mt 11:28). No matter how many frustrations, burdens, or sorrows we encounter with ourselves, or the people and world around us, if we always go back to resting in the trust of Christ, we will go back to our home in Him.

No comments: